Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeVault AccessGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Peacocking: A few thoughts...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JSmooth
PUG

Male Number of posts : 1530
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Peacocking: A few thoughts... Empty
PostSubject: Peacocking: A few thoughts...   Peacocking: A few thoughts... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 8:23 pm

Peacocking in my opinion is becoming pretty stupid. I've seen some guys outlandishly dressed and sure it gets them attention but it's not the the right attention they are wanting. Sinn said something in his Game Acceleration Doctorine
Sinn wrote:
Peacocking, means dressing in an outlandish manner in order to attract attention. While this can be an effective technique for some people, it doesn’t translate to everyone.
That quote has been bouncing around in my head the past few days.

I know we all understand the idea of peacocking on this forum. We all know that when we dress up like rockstars or magicians it's unusual for people to see those things and it gets you some attention. I personally don't really peacock at all anymore. Occassionally, I will wear some rings or a necklace but that's about it. I know Tripp is about the same way with little to no peacocking gear on at all. We still get consistent results and there are no problems.

I'll be the first right now to tell you some of the items that I've worn in field. Some of you are aware of these things and some of you may not have heard. I've tried all varieties of jeans, shirts, boas, lays, rings, necklaces that glow, dogtags that scroll messages, makeup, crazy shoes, hats, and more. One thing that I have learned is your avatar needs to reflect who you are, and not someone that you aren't. I can't be a magician, nor should I dress like one. I am not going to be the world's best pickup artist so I'm not going to dress like him. The truth is just a good fashion sense will get you a long way with the girls. If you are unsure what to wear gets some women in your life and go shopping with them. Allow them to check out your closets to give you advice on what you have and what you could use. Most of the women I've been around seem to love calling me out on some "Don'ts." Seriously take into account their advice, and if possible go shopping with them.

For most guys out there this is going to be what you need. Get yourself a few "good" pairs of jeans that fit you well. That doesn't mean hanging off your ass. You want jeans that actually fit you and a little tight is ok. Get a few descent pairs of jeans, a few good shirts, and some descent shoes. I can't tell you how many times girls seem to notice what shoes you are wearing. Each persons style should be their own to a degree but may be similar. I'm not going to go a long ways on the fashion advice for the forum because there are other posts about this.

I do believe that peacocking is can bring you attention. I believe that wearing one interesting item is a good idea in case a girl wants to approach you. I have been doing this for about a year solid. I have been approached by several women but 3-5 of them complimented me on something I was wearing which was a glow stick necklace while I was in a night club. Most of the time peacocking is going to make you look unusual, and if you aren't congruent with that look it's going to show. If you are not comfortable wearing a pink fedora, rings, and the latest Affliction shirt she'll be able to tell. Dress how you want to dress but make sure there is some style to it. Dress for the type of women you want to meet. For me that means I dress a little more preppy because the type of women I like to meet and met are at the end of their college career and are more professional.

Lastly, the reason peacocking sounds like such a good idea is it's different. We're all taught very quickly that standing out is a good thing, and it is to a degree. We like the idea of dressing up and playing pickup artist. This is just not a costume we put on for the party, it has to become who you are at the core. With that in mind do go out and get a haircut, try some new things with your clothes, and get some new stuff. I always like after I get a haircut or wearing new clothes, and I get a little more confidence boost wearing my favorite shirts.

As any good actor or comic would tell you...know your target audience and tailor what you do and what you wear to that audience.
Back to top Go down
Ka
Tripp's Vault Member
Tripp's Vault Member
Ka

Male Number of posts : 788

PostSubject: Re: Peacocking: A few thoughts...   Peacocking: A few thoughts... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 9:56 pm

Awsome post, this topic has been on my mind lately too, especially after seeing the Vh1 PUA season 2 video you posted and thinking to myself "I know Mystery is the man and all, but hes a grown man who dresses like a wana be willy wonka...how could any other adult take him seriously."

This got me to thinking about peacocking and style and such. While i agree that you want to keep your targets in mind, dress in a style that is you first, its always better to work from your base and ad little things to expand then to try and be something your not.

For instance i like girls who are punk/skater/rockish...this doesnt mean i have to dress punk or goth or something, but i do wear certain items that have a ruffer edge to them. As J said i keep it low key tho, rings, a neck peice, a frayed jacket or a graphic tee. Even more skater/rock like shoes or belts.

A few months back i went to a club with my bro and 2 buddies (Medic and his buddy). We are there hanging with a girl i know and a bunch of her friends...im talking to them all and outta no where they all start telling me how good i look, how i look together, etc. When i told them i had a chick help me out...they assumed i slept with her and they grew even more giddy lol.

The best thing i ever did for myself style wise was have my buddies wife help me out. I was amazed at how well it worked as a DHV and how other girls liked my style.

Now if your a really high energy, bouncing off the walls type of person, go crazy...however if your like me or J and your more laid back, you wana look good, not crazy. IMO "peacocking" in the truist sense is alot like wearing a novalty anything (think tux tee shirt), its cool for a few mins then no one takes you seriously.

However people tend to respond better to you when you just look good and subtly different. For guys we got it easy, id say 1 out of 10 guys really have a sense of fashion. Simply looking good can be more then enuff to make you stand out. Since i started caring how i look, one of the major things that bothers me when im out and see other guys is they don't iron thier shirts. Before i never would have noticed, but i iron everything before i go out...and now its night and day to me. Girls notice that stuff.

I've had 2-3 girls comment about my hair length just from seeing pictures of me on myspace...they notice what we would consider to be "little things" and they put alot of weight into it. Knowing that can make you really stand out and not look foolish or feel foolish.
Back to top Go down
Fortunehooks1
Tripp's Vault Member
Tripp's Vault Member
Fortunehooks1

Male Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Peacocking: A few thoughts...   Peacocking: A few thoughts... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 3:06 am

Thank you Jsmooth and Ka. As mentioned before, I am a very versatile fashion sense guy. Alas, my side of the culture spectrum allows me to have more than what the average guy might have. For instance, because I'm rock/hip-hop guy/psych student/alternative poet I'm just going be different. I wear polo shirts and jeans one style. My other style is ecko-t's, rock and roll icon tees, wallet chain, nikes, ed hardy sneakers, matching watches, chains, rings and bandanna to match. Recently, I had to put on my business attire( All Perry Ellis from necktie- shoes) That's my designer, and my pysch professor, commented that I was best dressed in this little offshoot, like any other day. I think versatility is the best option when peacocking, keep all options on the table. peace,lvoe and succe SS
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fortunehooks
JSmooth
PUG

Male Number of posts : 1530

PostSubject: Re: Peacocking: A few thoughts...   Peacocking: A few thoughts... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 3:56 am

Thanks for hearing where I'm coming from on this guys. As Sinn said in his recent Doctorine that girls are thinking to themselves is he going to dress like this around my friends. What if I introduce him to my family? Do you look like the kind of guy she can take home to mom and dad?

Just some thoughts that run through my mind. I completely agree with you guys on this.
Back to top Go down
Cock Diesel
Vault Personal Trainer
Vault Personal Trainer
Cock Diesel

Male Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2008-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Peacocking: A few thoughts...   Peacocking: A few thoughts... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 7:28 pm

Peacocking means wearing something that sets yourself apart from everyone else. Whether it's a good thing (check out his style) or bad thing (look at that douche). The most important thing is, no matter what you are, own it. Be proud to be who you are. If you get all peacocked out and walk with your head hanging and sit in a corner, you will look like a clown. However, if you are working the room, laughing, having a good time, then you are owning it, and whatever you are wearing to set yourself apart becomes cool.

Personally, unless you live in NY, LA, SD, etc, odds are you will be one of the best dressed guys in the club, without even trying. Here, all you have to do is out-dress everyone, and you will be peacocked.

I bleached my hair and put black stripes in it. I usually wear a tie when I go out (like in the picture) with torn jeans and white dress dancing shoes. This is peacocking for me, and it's about as far as I'm willing to go. Let me tell you, I have -never- been opened so much in my life. Bottom line is to find what works for you and what doesn't..

Peacocking: A few thoughts... DJblackstripesedit
Back to top Go down
L.A. Tripp
Admin
Admin
L.A. Tripp

Male Number of posts : 4766
Registration date : 2008-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Peacocking: A few thoughts...   Peacocking: A few thoughts... I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 11:13 pm

Yes girls do think to themselves "what would my friends think" and "what would my family think" and all that stuff when they look at you. That's one slight danger with my personal style. I'm not preppy and would have a hard time pulling that look off. I'm the rebel, the bad boy, and the look fits me. Of course the girls are gonna be attracted to that themselves but then wonder how their friends or family will react to that at the same time.

I did love that about Mystery, though, in this first leaked episode, where he took off ALL his peacocking gear and said if you can't go into a club in a t-shirt and jeans and pick up girls you can't do it at all. And he did it.

Of course, his style works for him because it's who he is, just as my style works for me because it's who I am. Everyone's style is slightly different.
Back to top Go down
http://latripp.weebly.com  https://puas.forumotion.com/the-pua-be
Cock Diesel
Vault Personal Trainer
Vault Personal Trainer
Cock Diesel

Male Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2008-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Peacocking: A few thoughts...   Peacocking: A few thoughts... I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 11:48 pm

L.A. Tripp wrote:
Yes girls do think to themselves "what would my friends think" and "what would my family think" and all that stuff when they look at you. That's one slight danger with my personal style. I'm not preppy and would have a hard time pulling that look off. I'm the rebel, the bad boy, and the look fits me. Of course the girls are gonna be attracted to that themselves but then wonder how their friends or family will react to that at the same time.

This is why I like to mix it up--- funky hair, tatoos, + anything else that makes you look like a bad boy goes really well with "square" clothes (although, I wear my dress shirt un-tucked and tie pulled down, as if I just got done having office sex) It's kind of an oxymoron, just like when I wore a pink button down with a camo t-shirt over it. It perplexes people, makes you seem interesting, multi-layered, complex, etc..

However, I think top hats, eye make-up (or make up of any kind), painted nails, or, just about anything Mystery wears is over the top. Fantastic for him-- he's an out-of-work magician, but not for me. I remember a guy from a club in San Diego. Dude was scrawny, dorky looking, but peacocked to oblivion with scarfs, top hat, etc etc. Kid looked ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Peacocking: A few thoughts...   Peacocking: A few thoughts... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Peacocking: A few thoughts...
Page 1 of 1