Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeVault AccessGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Progressive Overload

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
MattJacks
Tripp's Vault Member
Tripp's Vault Member

Male Number of posts : 806
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Progressive Overload Empty
PostSubject: Progressive Overload   Progressive Overload I_icon_minitimeSat May 03, 2008 6:23 am

there is a theory of exercise that states how to improve strength/cardio. it says that to improve at anything u can change the following things accordingly (not all at once)
  • increase reps
    increase sets
    increase the resistance (wieght or angle if on the treadmill)
    lower rest time
    increase the volume (amount of times per week)
    increase the intensity (this is gen for cardio as u are meant to push yourself harder)

additionally these guidlines are subject to what you want to do eg. speed/power, bulk muscle, endurance...
bulk muscle: u want low reps (6 max) and sets with a high resistance (90% or so of the max u can lift in 1 go), with a 90 second or higher rest inbetween sets. also you want the speed of motion to be 3-2-3 (means slow on the way down - hold - slow up)
speed/power: higher reps (8-10) and sets, lower resistane (60-80), about the same rest, with the speed at 1-2-1
endurance: high reps (12-20) and high amount of sets, very low resistance (<60), with a low rest time

enjoy??
Back to top Go down
Fiction
Apprentice PUA
Apprentice PUA
Fiction

Male Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Overload   Progressive Overload I_icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 6:31 pm

matt_me49 wrote:
additionally these guidlines are subject to what you want to do eg. speed/power, bulk muscle, endurance...
bulk muscle: u want low reps (6 max) and sets with a high resistance (90% or so of the max u can lift in 1 go), with a 90 second or higher rest inbetween sets. also you want the speed of motion to be 3-2-3 (means slow on the way down - hold - slow up)
speed/power: higher reps (8-10) and sets, lower resistane (60-80), about the same rest, with the speed at 1-2-1
endurance: high reps (12-20) and high amount of sets, very low resistance (<60), with a low rest time

enjoy??

This is not correct.

If you are looking to build large muscles, you should be lifting with moderate to near maximal loads (50 - 85% 1RM--comes out roughly to 6-15 reps depending on the table you use). This will result in the highest degree non-functional or sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, and is the style of exercise commonly found among bodybuilders. Rest periods are should fall between 60 and 120 seconds.

If you are looking to develop maximal muscular strength, you should aim for maximal and near-maximal loads (85%+). Acceleration will be slow. Rest should be between 120 and 180 seconds.

If you are looking to develop power, then moderate weights (30% - 70%) and high acceleration should be used. Rest periods should be between 180 and 240 seconds.
Back to top Go down
MattJacks
Tripp's Vault Member
Tripp's Vault Member

Male Number of posts : 806
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Overload   Progressive Overload I_icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 5:56 pm

i was thiking that doing near the max rm u were meant to do low reps for absolute strenght but fairnuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Progressive Overload   Progressive Overload I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Progressive Overload
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Outer Game :: Health/Nutrition/Excercise-
Jump to: