Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeVault AccessGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Windows 7 mini review

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ka
Tripp's Vault Member
Tripp's Vault Member
Ka

Male Number of posts : 788
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Windows 7 mini review - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 mini review   Windows 7 mini review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 3:33 am

Oddly enuff i just got in this argument with someone on the ubuntu forums. They basically said command line is the fastest way to do things, and if i dont like command line i should stick to "windowz". I pointed out that its only faster if you dont make a simple mistake, but if you do its start all over from the beginning, at least with a GUI if i make a mistake i; A) know right away, B) usually can recover in 1 step

I think WinFS died as a file system for desktop pc's...but im pretty sure its at least the conceptual foundation for WHS (Windows Home Server).

I dont mind a command line, if theres a reason for it...if what im doing cant be done any other way or if the commands truely are more simple then any GUI...but really even the most simple functions are typically faster done visually then through typing.

If i can do everything id ever want to do from windows fast without typing a single line, theres no reason linux couldnt if theyd stop clinging to that archaic comfort blanket.

Not to put down linux, but the more i think about it the more it reminds me of windows 3.11, which for all intents and purposes was just DOS with a visual interface over it...essentially thats what linux still is, a command based os with various GUI's available.

Im honestly waiting for the day when someone releases a windows compatible os thats lightweight and easily configurable.
Back to top Go down
L.A. Tripp
Admin
Admin
L.A. Tripp

Male Number of posts : 4766
Registration date : 2008-03-14

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 mini review   Windows 7 mini review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 3:43 am

Ka wrote:
Oddly enuff i just got in this argument with someone on the ubuntu forums. They basically said command line is the fastest way to do things, and if i dont like command line i should stick to "windowz". I pointed out that its only faster if you dont make a simple mistake, but if you do its start all over from the beginning, at least with a GUI if i make a mistake i; A) know right away, B) usually can recover in 1 step
LOL, I was thinking about visiting those forums myself . . . for that very reason.

Quote :

If i can do everything id ever want to do from windows fast without typing a single line, theres no reason linux couldnt if theyd stop clinging to that archaic comfort blanket.
I agree, and think at some point someone will take care of that. I just wish it would be sooner rather than later.
Quote :

Im honestly waiting for the day when someone releases a windows compatible os thats lightweight and easily configurable.
I believe that's coming.
Back to top Go down
http://latripp.weebly.com  https://puas.forumotion.com/the-pua-be
Sydrian
Tripp's Vault Member
Tripp's Vault Member

Male Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2009-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 mini review   Windows 7 mini review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 4:11 am

Lol, sure, command line is the fastest way to get something done.... When you cut n paste the commands directly from a forum and they work exactly the way they are supposed to, lol.
Back to top Go down
Ka
Tripp's Vault Member
Tripp's Vault Member
Ka

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 mini review   Windows 7 mini review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 8:19 pm

BTW, just heard that Windows 7 had more pre-orders in the first 8 hours of availability then vista did the entire preorder period....and Win7 broke Amazon's pre-order records beating Harry Potter.

Like i said, i think windows 7 is gonna have a big impact on the market share.
Back to top Go down
L.A. Tripp
Admin
Admin
L.A. Tripp

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 mini review   Windows 7 mini review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 8:24 pm

Damn, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sydrian
Tripp's Vault Member
Tripp's Vault Member

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 mini review   Windows 7 mini review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 8:26 pm

Completely 100% agree. I see the adoption rate being many times greater than Vista had.
Back to top Go down
L.A. Tripp
Admin
Admin
L.A. Tripp

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 mini review   Windows 7 mini review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 8:41 pm

Until the rosy glasses are cracked again . . . lol

Well, my wife just ordered a new laptop and is supposed to be getting discs for XP, Vista, and Win7 with it. So I guess she's added to this statistic you've just seen . . .
Back to top Go down
Sydrian
Tripp's Vault Member
Tripp's Vault Member

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 mini review   Windows 7 mini review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 4:04 am

Lol, tripp, I used to have the same mindset when it came to M$. In all seriousness though, somebody has to be the leading vendor for computer OS software. Pretty much any of them are going to do business just as ruthlessly as them. Although if you want a serious competitor to Windows keep an eye on Google Chrome OS. Not to be confused with the browser of the same name, Google is going to target the netbook market at first. The OS is supposed to be based on their browser in some fashion, and will be based around the linux kernel. For more information check out the wiki
Back to top Go down
L.A. Tripp
Admin
Admin
L.A. Tripp

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 mini review   Windows 7 mini review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 4:18 am

Actually, I'm very much looking forward to Google's Chrome OS system coming. I've been using the Chrome browser and like the current version of it pretty well. It's my next favorite behind Firefox. So yep, I'm hoping Google really comes out strong with the OS.
Back to top Go down
Ka
Tripp's Vault Member
Tripp's Vault Member
Ka

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 mini review   Windows 7 mini review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 4:55 am

Ive heard rumor of Google making an OS, but other then hearing they have hired OS programers and such have not seen any solid evidence to support it (screen shots etc...maybe its just that i havent looked lately. Actually i just looked and Google themselves confirm it...but that doesnt mean it will get released.

gOS, thought, looks very much like what one would expect google to make, even its made by a different company. Again designed for netbooks.

Also you have to keep in mind that these OS's are based on the idea of cloud computing...essentially that all the apps and data are stored on remote servers and accessed via the OS through the internet. Personally im not a big fan of the concept.

Call me old fashioned, i stongly beleive in networking...but cloud just opens the door to too many problems. I want my software, data, media and even the OS available to me regardless of internet connection. I also dont want my personal data on some remote server.

I say it again though, i dont care who makes it as long as its the best at what its intended for and offered at a reasonable price (although the second part is less of a concern. It just so happens that right now Win 7 is the best at meeting my needs, and since i didnt pay anything for it, its the right price. However as soon as linux gets their act together or mac starts giving something away...ill be riding that wave.

Windows has its flaws, but what it lacks in stability or built in saftey, it makes up for in the areas that matters most to the average person; ease of use and the widest array of software (free or commercial). If linux got easier for the average person to use or OSX was able to run on homebuilt systems...things would be different.
Back to top Go down
Sydrian
Tripp's Vault Member
Tripp's Vault Member

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 mini review   Windows 7 mini review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 6:18 am

Oh, OS X can be run on home built systems, just not using the retail disk. Apple just makes it very difficult, and you really have to pick and choose your hardware for compatibility. As for Google os, yea it's initially supposed to be aimed at cloud computing, but I think its a "get the feet wet" type project. I'm guessing if they get this in place in the portable market where it makes a bit more sense, they'll look to the desktop more seriously somewhere down the line.
Back to top Go down
Ka
Tripp's Vault Member
Tripp's Vault Member
Ka

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 mini review   Windows 7 mini review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 8:17 pm

O yea i know that OSX can, actually theres a company called Pystar that makes their own unmodified osx computers for less then apple...but its still not as easy for the average person to do.

Until i can go on newegg, buy the hardware i want, buy a copy of osx and build my own mac...it wont be able to cover a larger market share.

BTW, another cool Windows 7 feature. In widows media center you can now access internet tv for free. Currently there are only a few channels, but its all free except the netflix channel. Still very cool and worth checking out.

Under TV, might take a min for it to show internet tv as an option, just open it and wait.
Back to top Go down
Sydrian
Tripp's Vault Member
Tripp's Vault Member

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 mini review   Windows 7 mini review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 11:38 pm

That's actually pretty sweet. I'm pretty much the guy the cable companies fear the most. I have internet access, but no cable plan. Most of my TV is either watched with friends at their house, or I watch it online. The big three networks air most of their primetime lineup the day after on their website, and Hulu carries quite a bit of the prime time TV also. IPTV is the real reason cable companies are pushing for a move away from unlimited data, to a tiered approach. I mean in some parts of asia 50mbit connections to the home can be had for as little as 35/month, I pay 45 for a tenth of that. US broadband is so far behind globally it is embarasing.

Last edited by Sydrian on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
L.A. Tripp
Admin
Admin
L.A. Tripp

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 mini review   Windows 7 mini review - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 12:15 am

Interesting. I didn't know the U.S. lagged in that area.

I also know what you mean about the other. My ISP used to call me every couple of weeks asking me to please stop using so much bandwith cause I was slowing down the whole network.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Windows 7 mini review   Windows 7 mini review - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 mini review
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2